Saturday 2 June 2012

Introducing Genius Loci

Genius Loci is a fantasy setting where spirits walk among the people, legendary creatures cause the rise or fall of empires, and varied races share unique cultures. The mystical landscapes of Kitas, as the world is known by those who dwell there, are soaked with magic and teeming with riddles and legends.
This blog documents my development of Genius Loci as I explore the various in-world aspects of this “riddlesome fairy-tale” through drawings, sketches, and short articles about, well, everything! While much of my art appears on my other website, jsl-art.de, many smaller works will be exclusive to this blog.


How is Genius Loci special?

The Genius Loci setting works outside of stereotypes often found in fantasy settings. It is an attempt to create a fantastical, believable world with a story to it. Two worlds, actually, because Genius Loci is not just one place: the real, material world of Kitas is accompanied by the mysterious Area, a dreamlike parallel world that can - and should - only be entered with special precautions. While not entirely without substance, it is a mindrealm where things are not as they seem.
The setting constitutes that race and culture are independent of each other. Members of the same race do not automatically agree, and there is no such thing as a dwarven country, or elven language. In other words, the idea of multi-ethnic cultures is taken to a whole new level on Kitas.

A fantastic world

Genius Loci is a latin term that means "spirit of place". Kitas is filled with all manner of spirits, making it a very magical world. Nature spirits are caring, curious, and self-sufficient; the spirits of the dead are grief-stricken, violent, and vengeful; spirits known as “echoes” are leftover images of people who may not even be dead; and the most feared of all, the titular spirits of place - the genius loci - themselves, are incredibly powerful entities that can come into existence anywhere, seemingly at random, pushing its destructive will on everything and everyone within its domain.
In addition to the setting’s numerous spirits, the very continents of Kitas are infused with magic: each is dominated by the elements of either water, earth and air, fire, or life, strongly influencing their landscapes.


Names and translations

I'm German, and the original names of terms within Genius Loci are German as well. If a name can be translated, it usually will be, though I will mention the original name as well. However, because of the nature of language, sometimes the feel of a name is changed, as within the famous rhyme of the Four, so it may be that I cannot find any suitable translation. In these cases, I will share the original German, and leave the translation to you.

--

This entry has been edited by Kody "Corvell" Cowell, in December 2017.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ranarh! I was wondering, would you be interested in having a line-editor for your blog? I would love to crawl through your posts and polish up the grammar and such of them all (not that it's bad!). I would do it for free -- I would enjoy the practice, and I imagine it would be of help to you. I have edited your short stories before, but this would be a much simpler form of editing. I won't change any of the information or suggest significant changes, I'd only polish up existing sentences, with a focus on grammar and readability.

    Let me know via my email if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete